If you own a wood-burning fireplace, stove or insert, you may have heard the term “WETT inspection” and wondered – what exactly is that? WETT stands for Wood Energy Technology Transfer, and is the authority on wood heating system safety standards in Canada. Read on to learn more about what WETT does and the benefits of getting a WETT inspection.
What is WETT?
WETT is a non-profit training and certification organization that oversees proper installation and operation of wood heating systems across Canada. They have established national standards and training programs for professionals working with fireplaces, wood stoves, furnaces, chimneys and related wood heating equipment.
Technicians can become WETT-certified by completing in-depth training modules and exams in various specialty areas like:
- Chimney Sweeping
- Solid Fuel Burning System Inspections
- Wood Heat System Design
Earning WETT certification ensures professionals are qualified to properly evaluate, install, and service wood heating systems to the organization’s strict standards.
Why Get a WETT Inspection?
A WETT inspection provides documented proof that your wood-burning fireplace, stove, chimney or furnace system is operating safely and meets current codes. Here are some of the key benefits of having a certified WETT technician thoroughly inspect your system:
- Identify potential fire and carbon monoxide hazards before they become an emergency
- Ensure the soundness of the overall system and that it is installed and operating to code
- Prevent serious and very expensive damages or issues down the road
- Provide documentation for your home insurance records
- Inspections are often required at the time of a home sale by insurance providers
- Provides peace of mind knowing your system is structurally compliant
Routine WETT inspections help identify problems early and ensure the continued safe operation of your wood heating equipment.
What Does the Inspection Cover?
When you book a WETT inspection, the certified technician will conduct a comprehensive assessment of your wood stove, fireplace, chimney, or furnace unit. Areas examined include:
- Masonry and liner integrity of the chimney system and termination point
- Condition of the firebox, dampers, smoke chambers and doors
- Required clearances from stove or fireplace to combustible flooring or walls
- Installation and venting for any inserts or wood stoves
- Construction specifications of built-in fireplaces and hearths
- Draft performance and any signs of creosote blockages
- Compliance with relevant building codes and WETT installation standards
The inspection covers all aspects of your setup that affect safety and proper functioning.
The WETT Inspection Report
Once the inspection is complete, you will receive a detailed report from the WETT-certified professional. It will contain:
- Photographs and descriptions of any issues or deficiencies found
- A clearly indicated pass, pass with conditions, or fail rating
- Recommended repairs and their priority safety level
- The specific codes and standards covered by the inspection
- Any maintenance tips to keep your system operating safely
The comprehensive report becomes a vital record documenting the condition and compliance of your wood heating equipment. Many insurance companies will ask to see a current WETT inspection report when underwriting a new policy.
Should I Get a WETT Inspection?
A WETT inspection is strongly recommended if you have any uncertainty about the correct installation or ongoing safety of your wood stove, fireplace or chimney system. For example, if the system is older and hasn’t been serviced in years, if any part was modified by a previous homeowner, or if your insurance provider requires current documentation. A WETT assessment can identify issues early and prevent serious hazards like chimney fires.
Routine inspections every few years are wise to confirm everything remains in good working order over time. The small upfront cost brings peace of mind knowing your system meets strict safety standards.
Contact MGG Chimney Sweep for WETT Inspections in Mississauga, Brampton & Oakville
MGG Chimney Sweep‘s team is fully certified by WETT to conduct thorough inspections on wood stoves, fireplaces and chimney installations. We proudly serve homeowners throughout Mississauga, Brampton, Oakville and the surrounding region.
Get in touch with us today to schedule your WETT inspection. Upon assessment, we will provide a detailed report on the condition of your system and any repairs it needs, as well as confirm it complies with current codes. Give us a call at 905-783-7029 for a quote on a WETT inspection for your wood heating system.
To Learn More About Our Services, Visit Our Website Today!